[kde-linux] Lost system tray

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 22 09:35:55 UTC 2009

On Thursday 22 October 2009 01:33:33 Stephen Brandon wrote:
> I wish to thank Thomas Olsen. Your suggestion to run "find" brought up 3
> files and after I went to the directory I _rm_'d them.  That brought my
> original desktop back but still missing some of the icons I'd put there.
> What is ZUI and do I ever need it?
>
> I wish to thank Anne Wilson.  Thanks for the systemsetting instruction.
> When I rebooted I no longer got the warning No System Tray.  I still
> have the 'cashew' in the upper right corner.  Should I do anything with
> it other than ignore it?

Answering your two questions in one :-) - the ZUI and the cashew are in fact
the same thing.  Different names for the Zooming User Interface.  Unless you
come across something where someone tells you that it's your only option,
ignore it.  In any case, zooming will be done differently, soon.

One of the problems with KDE4 is that there are several names for quite a few
things, for instance, is it a widget or is it a plasmoid?  You can make
differentiations from a programming point of view, but for the user they are
more or less the same thing.

Are you back to where you want to be, now?  Is there anything else missing?
If there is, just ask.