[kde-linux] KWifiManager ?

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 10 13:20:47 UTC 2009

James Tyrer wrote:
<SNIP>

What I said is not 100% correct, so I will revise and extend my remarks.
  There is a reason for this which you might find amusing.  I do not see
very well as I am 200/20 without glasses.  I went to sleep wearing my
glasses and woke up laying on them. :-(  The Flexon frames survived but
one of the lenses came out.  So, I was using my sunglasses to read the
screen -- not very well, it appears, but I was not aware of that.  I now
have them repaired and can see that I did not see things very well with
the sunglasses.

> You can built it with: "--with-distro=lfs" and it will build.

This is a typo, it should say: "--with-distro=clfs" and it will build
_after_you_apply_the_patch_, see below.

> However, it will *not* install a script in: /etc/rc.d/init.d

This is true, however ...

> and I don't think that anyone has contributed one, so you will have
> to make your own by modifying one in the bootscripts tarball.

it appears that the patch uses the file: "/etc/rc.d/init.d/localnet",
which is in the LFS-Bootscripts tarball, to bring up the loopback IP
addresses.  But, I don't see how the daemon is started.  So, AFAIK, you
still need something to start the daemon.

> You will also need to configure it using: "ksysv".  Note that there
> is NO KDE-4 version.  I set the start priority to 10 and the kill to
> 90.
>
> If you are not familiar with doing this, you can build with
> "--with-distro=redhat" and then modify the file:
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/NetworkManager so that it is like the other init.d
> scripts.

This will only work if you have the files that the init.d script and the
backend uses.  Read the files:

	NetworkManager-0.7.1/initscript/RedHat/NetworkManager
	NetworkManager-0.7.1/src/backends/NetworkManagerRedHat.c

and see if you have needed init.d and configuration files.  You probably
aren't running ncsd, so that doesn't matter.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch