[kde-linux] KWifiManager ?

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 9 18:40:27 UTC 2009

Dr. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> On Friday 09 October 2009 00:47:11 James Tyrer wrote:
>
>> Sorry to say that I don't have a network.  An optional dependency for
>> KDEBase is the the NetworkManager program:
>>
>> http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/
>>
> Unfortunately, this program does only compile for one of eight distros. I am
> building my system by my own ( Linux From Scratch ), and the program does not
> build !!

If you are having problems building version: 0.7.1, get this patch:

http://svn.cross-lfs.org/svn/repos/patches/NetworkManager/NetworkManager-0.7.1-clfs_support-1.patch

> BTW: I hope this is an error and a unique case ! I do not like _absolutely_
> the idea, to be dependent of a distro when using Linux ! It looks for me like
> the first step to a windows-surrogat !

You can built it with: "--with-distro=lfs" and it will build.  However,
it will *not* install a script in: /etc/rc.d/init.d and I don't think
that anyone has contributed one, so you will have to make your own by
modifying one in the bootscripts tarball.  You will also need to
configure it using: "ksysv".  Note that there is NO KDE-4 version.  I
set the start priority to 10 and the kill to 90.

If you are not familiar with doing this, you can build with
"--with-distro=redhat" and then modify the file:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/NetworkManager so that it is like the other init.d scripts.

There are instructions for building here:

http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org/index.php/NetworkManager

but no installation instructions that I can find.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch