[kde-linux] KWifiManager ?

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 8 22:47:11 UTC 2009

Dr. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> Hi,
> after building KDE-4.3.0 I am trying to do the same on my laptop. I had to
> realize, that kdenetwork do not more include a KWifiManager, as kde-3.5 did.
> What shall we do ? googling, I found, that a Network-Manager in solid was to
> be announced ( Aug. 2008 ). Later, some comments indicates the existence of a
> widget, that takes over the tasks of KWifiManager. However, the only thing I
> found in the add widgets plasma was a network usage monitor.
> No  question, I can continue using my old  kwifimanager and my old wpa-
> supplicant  from kde-3.5 to perform my communications. But is this the kde-4
> solution ? As I do not think so, can somebody tell me more or less what steps
> I shall do ?

Sorry to say that I don't have a network.  An optional dependency for
KDEBase is the the NetworkManager program:

http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/

Do you have this installed?  Note that this is a daemon and must be
started after the DHCP (if you are using that).

Sorry that I haven't tried it, but from what the documentation says,
this should find your wireless network for you.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch