[kde-linux] Printing

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 6 15:29:11 UTC 2009

It has been a while since I changed over to KDE-4.3 BRANCH (currently
4.3.2).

I went to print from OpenOffice yesterday and it didn't work.

I should first add that this was working a while ago in my test account.

So, it appears that CUPS has stopped working.  IIRC, I upgraded it and
installed in /usr rather than in /opt/cups.  Don't think that I did
anything else.  I have isolated the problem to CUPS.  If I try to print
a file from the command line:

lpr test_file.ps

It replies:

lpr: successful-ok

and *nothing* happens.

The printer works.  Printing the PS file from the command line without
CUPS using GhostScript for the RIP works fine.

I tried using the web admin page to print the test file.  The result is:

Unsupported format 'application/vnd.cups-banner'!

LPR always worked fine with no problems.  Google for that error message
yielded 125 results most of which were not relevant.  Refined the search
and I only found 6 that were all irrelevant.

Any theories.  I would rather not have to print manually forever.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch