[kde-linux] KWrite/printer problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 6 08:13:36 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 06 October 2009 03:17:25 Bruce Miller wrote:
> I have had this problem with every version of KDE 4 since the 4.0 beta. A
>  few months ago, I was able to work around it by setting specific page
>  margins as well as header and footer sizes. However, I noticed the problem
>  again with a kate document which I printed last week.
>
> This glitch affects all applications using the KDE print engine.
>
> Since I use kubuntu, I have filed a bug on the Ubuntu Launchpad. There is a
>  bug on the KDE bugzilla which I have also commented on.
>
> It would be useful if you could look these up and add an "Affects me too"
>  comment.
>
>  --
> Bruce Miller, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
> bruce at brmiller.ca; (613) 745-1151
>

> No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of
>  policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets.

For instance, if a document thinks it's printing to A4, but the paper size is
set to Letter, you'd see this.  There seems to be several places where
something could interfere.  There are the settings in CUPS, the settings in
some specific vendor software (such as hplip), the settings in the printer
applet (which normally are single-document settings) and the settings in the
document itself.

Don't rely on the printer applet for defaults - it's not designed to do that.
Check out the CUPS and any vendor-supplied software.  If you can find a mis-
match there that will solve the problem permanently.