[kde-linux] KDE and mounted home directory (again)

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 29 22:11:04 UTC 2009

Dimitry Golubovsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having the exact same problem as described at the following
> link:
>
> http://www.phwinfo.com/forum/linux-debian-user/202025-problems-kde-mounted-home.html
>

> I am new to KDE. I am trying to run KDE 4.2 on a diskless computer
> with user's home directory mounted over sshfs. KDE cannot start
> properly becase dcop server cannot create sockets on a mounted
> filesystem.
>
> How can I change this so sockets will be created somewhere in
> /tmp/$USER which is local? I have been trying to find a proper
> configuration file, unsuccessfuly. The conversation mentioned above
> is not specific on which config file to change.

To be a little more specific, you have to have local temporary file
space to run KDE.  Normally, this would be in: "/tmp/" which is the
directory that is normally cleared when you boot and the place where the
sockets will be put.  You would normally set the environment variable:

	KDETMP=/tmp/$USER-kde4

If you have room for local cache, it will probably work better.  You
would normally set the environment variable:

	KDEVARTMP=/var/tmp/$USER-kde4

So, I have a script in /etc/profile.d that includes:

KDETMP=/tmp/$USER-kde4
mkdir -p $KDETMP
KDEVARTMP=/var/tmp/$USER-kde4
mkdir -p $KDEVARTMP

export KDETMP KDEVARTMP

{this presumes that USER has been set.

These directories can be somewhere else if needed, but KDETMP has to
point to a Linux file system.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch