[kde-linux] Right to Left languages in KDE4

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Mon Nov 23 22:13:31 UTC 2009

I have just updated my machines to openSuSE v11.2, and this is my first
experience with KDE4. I have found what appears to be a bug in the way in
which text is written in right-to-left languages (Hebrew and Arabic, and
no doubt others less familiar to me.

In KDE3, when one set a Hebrew or Arabic keyboard, the result was that,
besides determining the character set and the direction of typing, the
alignment was also changed, and lines were right-aligned, and it was the
left margin that was ragged.

In KDE4, I find that character-set and typing direction are also changed
as they should be, but the text alignment remains at the left, as in
European languages, and it is the right margin that is ragged.

If there is a way to adjust text alignment in such applications as Kwrite
and Kmail, I have not found it. I think that should happen automatically,
as it does in KDE3, and it's an oversight on the part of the KDE team.
--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on