[kde-linux] Threading not working after upgrade (kmail)

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Nov 17 12:11:54 UTC 2009

Thomas Taylor posted on Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:32:59 -0800 as excerpted:

> Has anyone else had the problem of threading stopping working after
> upgrading? I recently upgraded openSUSE from 11.1 to 11.2 version which
> upgraded kde from 4.1 to 4.3 (release 6).  Upon starting kmail, I
> noticed that new mail was coming in without threading messages.  I went
> to the settings menu but can no longer find the threading choices.  Did
> threading get eliminated?

Threading isn't eliminated, but the sorting is somewhat different now, by
default.  I'm still getting used to the idea and am not sure I like it.
We'll see.  It is possible to return to the old sorting if desired,
however.  I have mine customized to (I think) a sort of mix of the old
and new.

The default now is a data-based sort, with daily for a week, two weeks by
week, then by month and year.  But you can thread that if desired, and I
believe that's what I did with customization.   There's a search bar at
the top of the message list pane, with a row of icons to the right.
That'd be the 4th icon, select aggregation mode.  I setup a custom mode
(configure, at the bottom), called "Current activity, threaded".  The
description I set as follows:

This view uses smart date range groups with the most recent group
displayed on top. Messages are threaded and the most recent is displayed
again on top. The group for a thread is selected by the most recent
message in it. So for example, in "Today" you will find all the messages
arrived today and all the threads that have been active today.

Under groups and threading, I have grouping by smart date ranges (of
thread leaders), expand recent groups, threading perfect by references
and subject (do note that by subject will have some false-positive
threading, while not doing so will get you some orphans due to broken
mail clients), thread leader by most recent message, thread expand with
unread or important.

On the advanced tab is only one option, which I don't think I touched.
You can favor interactivity (it checks to see if you're trying to cancel
or something more often, slowing it down, this is the default I believe
and what I have), or speed (less responsive but faster), or batch mode
(as I understand it, this should be fastest, but will basically make
kmail unresponsive while it sorts).

> I also noticed that I can no longer save address information by right
> clicking on the message in the message list.  What gives?

I hadn't noticed that, but you can still save the address info from the
context menu if you right click on the appropriate header in the message
pane or window if you use a separate window for message display.  Or at
least that's how 4.3.3 works.