[kde-linux] KDE 4. Trying to get it working like I need it to.

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 19:30:24 UTC 2009

Duncan wrote:
> Dale posted on Sat, 14 Nov 2009 09:38:02 -0600 as excerpted:
>

>> I installed mc and have been giving it a once over.  It seems OK but I
>> need to make some changes to my console.  It has the default fonts which
>> are pretty large and resolution which is pretty low therefore I don't
>> have a lot of screen room. It does work tho.
>>

> Yeah, you definitely appreciate how constricted the default 80 character
> by 25 line (or whatever) console is, once you begin running something
> like mc! =:^(
>
> FWIW, you can probably enable a framebuffer driver in your kernel config,
> and get full native resolution (assuming LCD, whatever you run X at,
> anyway, if CRT) at the console, if you get the config right.  There's the
> generic VESA framebuffer driver, and some of the video cards have their
> own -- I'm running the radeonfb driver, here.  It's nice to get full
> 1920x1200 resolution.  I now have something ridiculous like... let me
> check...
> 240 character by 75 lines...  That's actually almost /too/ much, even
> split in half as mc does.  I could fit a 3-pane setup in that, if mc
> offered it, and still have the full 80 character width panes, double the
> 40-char width defaults after the default 80-char width is split into two
> panes.
>
> The other alternative is to make better use of the default resolution, by
> choosing a smaller default font.  For awhile I was using the 4x6 font,
> available in the kernel config under device drivers, graphics support,
> console display driver support, select compiled-in fonts, mini 4x6 font.
> (You can set that later using the consolefonts system service, as well,
> if you prefer, that gives you more choices, depending on the fonts you
> install.)  Of course, I could do them both, but the default fonts give me
> enough character resolution since I did the framebuffer thing.  In fact,
> I could either increase font size a bit or decrease framebuffer
> resolution, and still be fine, if I wanted to, as 240 character width
> /is/ getting a bit ridiculous! =:^)

Only problem with this is that I need new glasses.  If I get to high a
resolution or to small of a font, I can't read them to well.  Sort of
got to find a balance point there somewhere.

>> I also enabled the mouse on the console too.  Pretty neat.  ^_^
>>

> Yes, gpm for the win! =:^)  Besides the normal mouse stuff, I appreciate
> two things it does at the console.  First, you get select/paste behavior
> like you do in X. =:^)  That can come in handy when you're running
> multiple VCs, reading docs in one, typing input in another, maybe running
> links or lynx text-based browsers, googling something on the web in a
> third, and have data or a bit of a command to copy from one and paste in
> another.
>
> Second, and this is a bit of a trick you'll need to read the gpm manpage
> for to get the details on to configure it, but you can setup three triple-
> click commands.  See the "Special Commands" section of the manpage.
> Here, I have two set to switch init-levels and a third to issue my
> hibernate command.  So I can do that from the console, without even being
> logged in. =:^)
>
> There's a third thing I've not setup, but the docs (/usr/share/docs/gpm-
> *) talk about that would be neat.  Basically, you can setup a console
> mode menu system.  IOW, the three "special commands" above are just the
> beginning!  Imagine setting an entry to run the sensors command, for
> instance (assuming you have lm_sensors installed and configured, of
> course).  There's all sorts of neat stuff possible.  Maybe one day I'll
> configure it...

I got to get used to the mouse in a console.  It is a handy thing to
have but I'm just not used to it.  I got to exercise this new toy a bit.

To think it was installed all this time and I didn't even know it.  LOL

Dale

:-)  :-)