[kde-linux] Goodbye

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 19:26:03 UTC 2009

Rajko M. wrote:
> On Sunday 15 November 2009 05:19:54 John Layt wrote:
>

>> There's plenty of reports of KDE4 running
>> fine on 512Mb, and even 256Mb without much tweaking.
>>

> Let me add one more :)
>
> Limiting memory in use to 128 MB I expected very slow computer as it would use
> a lot of swap. The fact is that it used a lot of swap, but applications were
> responsive. Slight lag to reload apps in RAM and then run just as with 1.5 GB
> RAM.
>
> More of the problem is something else that is within KDE4.
> I can confirm the Werner's report about the lag of cca 1 sec between mouse
> click and actually something happening. With some lightweight window manager
> and the same KDE4 applications system is snappy.
>
> IMHO, having modern DE that is using all the power of a graphic hardware
> should give advantage to old barely maintained window managers, but I can't
> see that.
>
> My hardware is old (Athlon 1500, 1,5 GB RAM, 256 MB FX 5200 PCI), but it is
> the same for KDE4 and ICEwm. So problem is not hardware, but software.

I have that video card too.  Chaintech FX-5200 but with 128Mb of ram.
Mine does OK but I'm not into a lot of games and stuff.  KDE 4 does make
it work tho.  I have a slide show for my background and it takes a few
seconds for it to change since it does that fade thing.  That makes
everything else not respond while it plays with that.

Dale

:-)  :-)