[kde-linux] KDE 4. Trying to get it working like I need it to.

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 15:38:02 UTC 2009

Duncan wrote:

> Thanks.  I thought about mentioning that.  But one of the big features of
> mc, for me, is that it works the same in a text term and in a konsole
> window on X/KDE.  That's important for a sysadmin tool that could well be
> needed to fix broken X/KDE configs themselves.  Yes, I could use both,
> but the consistency of the interface and of my mc user-menu extensions
> (which I've totally customized, tho a few of the entries are based on mc
> defaults, but I think I've customized more lines than not, by now) would
> be gone, and one quality that's very important for an admin tool to have
> is that the user is familiar enough with it so it's not adding any more
> stress to what might already be a stressful situation -- perhaps
> something important is broken and the admin task at hand is trying to
> find the problem and fix it, and that's stressful enough as it is, even
> when the use of the tools is so ingrained they seem to function as an
> extension of the admin himself.
>
> Now it could well be argued that the krusader OFM interface should be as
> useful for non-admin activities as well, sorting images, etc, areas where
> an ncurses based text inferface don't work so well.  For some people,
> that's probably true.  However, in the user context, the (possibly
> multiple-window with drag and drop) tree and single dir approach
> popularized by MS Windows Explorer and seen in KDE's core tools such as
> dolphin, konqueror (in fm mode) and gwenview, seems to work well enough
> for me.
>
> But regardless, it's very much a user preference thing, tho I /do/ expect
> the mc interface could be /extremely/ useful in helping users overcome
> their fear of the text interface and in making available an actually
> usable interface for configuration tasks where they'd otherwise be left
> at the all too scary CLI.  That, IMO, is where mc really shines, and
> where I first found it useful, tho once I started using it there, it very
> quickly became my preferred sysadmin task file manager and text editor on
> X/KDE as well.  Still, it's very much a "YMMV" type thing, perhaps even
> more so than most UI elements.

I installed mc and have been giving it a once over.  It seems OK but I
need to make some changes to my console.  It has the default fonts which
are pretty large and resolution which is pretty low therefore I don't
have a lot of screen room. It does work tho.

I also enabled the mouse on the console too.  Pretty neat.  ^_^

Dale

:-)  :-)