[kde-linux] KDE 4. Trying to get it working like I need it to.

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Nov 12 10:38:24 UTC 2009

Beso posted on Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:27:44 +0100 as excerpted:

> you might alo try out kde4 native krusader. it has all the power of
> midnight commander and a lot of other better functions.

Thanks.  I thought about mentioning that.  But one of the big features of
mc, for me, is that it works the same in a text term and in a konsole
window on X/KDE.  That's important for a sysadmin tool that could well be
needed to fix broken X/KDE configs themselves.  Yes, I could use both,
but the consistency of the interface and of my mc user-menu extensions
(which I've totally customized, tho a few of the entries are based on mc
defaults, but I think I've customized more lines than not, by now) would
be gone, and one quality that's very important for an admin tool to have
is that the user is familiar enough with it so it's not adding any more
stress to what might already be a stressful situation -- perhaps
something important is broken and the admin task at hand is trying to
find the problem and fix it, and that's stressful enough as it is, even
when the use of the tools is so ingrained they seem to function as an
extension of the admin himself.

Now it could well be argued that the krusader OFM interface should be as
useful for non-admin activities as well, sorting images, etc, areas where
an ncurses based text inferface don't work so well.  For some people,
that's probably true.  However, in the user context, the (possibly
multiple-window with drag and drop) tree and single dir approach
popularized by MS Windows Explorer and seen in KDE's core tools such as
dolphin, konqueror (in fm mode) and gwenview, seems to work well enough
for me.

But regardless, it's very much a user preference thing, tho I /do/ expect
the mc interface could be /extremely/ useful in helping users overcome
their fear of the text interface and in making available an actually
usable interface for configuration tasks where they'd otherwise be left
at the all too scary CLI.  That, IMO, is where mc really shines, and
where I first found it useful, tho once I started using it there, it very
quickly became my preferred sysadmin task file manager and text editor on
X/KDE as well.  Still, it's very much a "YMMV" type thing, perhaps even
more so than most UI elements.