[kde-linux] KDE3 Apps to KDE4?

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Wed Nov 11 17:34:58 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 11 November 2009 11:17:10 Duncan wrote:
> Allistar posted on Wed, 11 Nov 2009 09:59:17 +1300 as excerpted:
> > And an important one for some of us: proper multi-session support. I
> > have a triple-head setup and from what I can tell I cannot use this in
> > KDE4.3.
>
> Triple-head should work (if your X supports it), but only as a combined
> single-session, aka "xinerama mode", spread out over all heads.  From
> what I read, kde4 is single-session only, with no one currently working
> on changing that.  Apparently, the multi-session support in kde3 was
> never deliberately intended either, it just happened to work.  But kde4
> was enough of a rewrite that whatever allowed it to work in kde3 is long
> gone, and it's not likely to return until someone with sufficient skills
> gets sufficiently interested in making it happen... that it does happen.

Xinerama (or the proprietary equiv.) is usually preferred today anyway.  With
multiple sessions, you are unable to move a window from one monitor to the
others, and most people expect to be able to do this.  If for no other reason,
because this is the way OS X and MS Windows handle multiple screens that are
not in clone mode.

Xinerama does have its disadvantages.  The first I can think of is incorrect
DPI reporting when the two monitors differ in DPI.

I use a two-head Xinerama setup for my desktop machine.  It mostly works,
although doing anything involving activities has the potential to mess it up.
The fact that my monitors have different DPIs and aspect ratios also results
in some quirks that are trivial to work around.
bss at iguanasuicide.net            	((_/)o o(\_))