[kde-linux] KDE 4. Trying to get it working like I need it to.

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Nov 9 16:09:10 UTC 2009

Dale posted on Mon, 09 Nov 2009 08:09:01 -0600 as excerpted:

> This is my update process:
>
> eix-sync
> emerge -uvDNa world  < look at USE flags and such to be sure it's ok.
> bdeps is in make.conf
> python-updater < if it has been updated.
> emerge -p --depclean  Most of the time this is fine.
> revdep-rebuild -i
>
> I go through that until everything comes out clean.
>
> I also watch to see if portage tells me anything else needs to be done.
> Recently the preserved-rebuild popped up and I ran it, three times since
> it kept needing to rebuild different packages.  It did eventually make
> itself happy tho.
>
> I should also mention, I have been using Gentoo since 1.4.  I don't know
> it all but I been around the block a couple times.  :-)

Just a couple minor differences there between you and me.  I don't use
eix so don't do that bit.

1) I have a sync-script I run that syncs portage and layman, updates the
cache, updates the esearch database, and pre-fetches the sources for all
the updates.  It does part of that in parallel, where possible.  (So for
instance it does the esearch db rebuild and the sources fetches in
parallel.)

2) I've been running the portage 2.2 branch for some time, from well
before the preserved-libs feature was stable, and had a bit of problem
with that.  I decided it's more trouble than it's worth, for me, so I
disabled that, and thus don't have to worry about it.  Revdep-rebuild
works better that way too.  The trade-off of course is that when a big
update comes along, a few packages might be broken until I'm finished
revdep-rebuilding, but --as-needed in ldflags mitigates that problem to a
large degree, (probably 1/10th the rebuilds otherwise necessary), and the
speed and performance of my system (dual dual-core opteron, so quad-cores
but on two separate CPUs, 6 gigs memory, PORTAGE_TMPDIR on tmpfs) helps
as well, so preserved-libs isn't as big a deal for me as it would be for
many, and I find the tradeoff in terms of additional (probably mostly
theoretical at this point, now that the feature is reasonably stable)
system issues not worth the relatively small (on my system) cost.