[kde-linux] Another KDE 4.x print problem?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Nov 4 11:26:08 UTC 2009

Esben Mose Hansen posted on Tue, 03 Nov 2009 11:50:46 +0100 as excerpted:

> For my money, you are looking for something a lot more stable than
> Gentoo. I'd suggest running Debian stable, or perhaps Redhats
> "enterprise" branch. I think you'd be happier there.

Ummm... I think not!  I'm on gentoo ~arch (unstable) and testing stuff
before it even gets in the main gentoo tree at times for a reason -- I
like leading, even bleeding, edge.

That's rather the point.  I'm running gentoo, and a full kde4 now,
/because/ I like leading/bleeding edge.  kde4 at 4.3 is pretty much the
ideal time to cut over for people like me, those that actually like the
sometimes bleeding edge, and are willing to deal with the issues it
entails.  But 4.2 (even the last 4.2.4 which is when I got serious about
the switch) was significantly stretching it, and I'd have waited for 4.3
or even 4.4 if upstream kde3 support wasn't being dropped and "little"
stuff like being able to compile it with the latest gcc and against the
latest libs, and "little" things like security, becoming potential
issues.  It was those "little" things that pushed me to kde4, while it
was still rather early to switch even for someone who usually runs
bleeding edge stuff and is accustomed to (and appreciates the challenge
of) finding fixes and workarounds for all the broken stuff.

The biggest problem, therefore, isn't folks like me that are accustomed
to working with bleeding edge, but those who want it to "just work",
which is what kde has pretty much claimed for kde4, from 4.2.  If people
like me are having problems, $DEITY help the folks who just want what
they run to work.

Even then, the issues with kde4 wouldn't be as big a problem if kde3 was
continuing to be properly maintained for both security and with/against
newer compilers and system libs.  It does seem the situation isn't as
drastic as it was initially turning out to be, with kde3 support
apparently continuing due to KDAB sponsorship and etc, but apparently
it's not at a level the major distributions seem to be comfortable with,
as they're starting to drop it.  And the major distributions are exactly
the types of places that these "ordinary users" are likely to be getting
their kde, so if they're dropping it, from the user perspective, it's
disappearing.