[kde-linux] Another KDE 4.x print problem?

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Mon Nov 2 20:42:09 UTC 2009

On Monday 02 November 2009 12:36:38 david wrote:
> I believe Debian Etch still comes with KDE 3.5.9 or 3.5.10. At least the
> one on my file server has never offered to upgrade KDE to 4.x anything ...

Etch is oldstable now.  I think security support runs out for it toward the
beginning of next year.  Only security-related bugs justify a new package
version; no new upstream versions.  IIRC, it's still 3.5.5 or something
ancient. ;)

Lenny is stable now.  It contains a mix of 3.5.9 and 3.5.10.  Unless there is
an announcement to the contrary, security support should be available until
roughly a year after the release of Squeeze.  Both security-related and
release-critical bugs can justify a new package version, although new upstream
versions are not allowed.

Squeeze is testing now.  It contains KDE 4.x packages and is fairly regularly
updated with 4.x.1 and 4.x.3 releases coming from uploads to unstable.  These
packages are no support for being installed simultaneously with non-library
KDE 3.x packages, so it is not possible to have both KDE 3 and KDE 4 installed
on a Debian system using the KDE packages created by the Debian maintainers.
When Squeeze is released, it will not contain any non-library KDE 3 packages.
Upload to unstable are virtually unrestricted and the automated migration will
pull them into testing once their dependencies can be satisfied if they do not
introduce bugs after some period of time.

As with all Debian packages, the maintainers are largely dependent on upstream
to provide bug fixes for non-packaging-related bugs.  If there's no upstream
bug-fixers, the Debian bugs will likely remain unfixed.
bss at iguanasuicide.net            	((_/)o o(\_))