[kde-linux] Upgrading Linux breaks KDE 3.5

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Tue May 5 19:59:31 UTC 2009

In <4A006E8E.4020508 at acm.org>, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>However, I now have other problems:
>
>!.	kgpg crashes on startup.
>2.	KDESU doesn't work.
>3.	Konqueror still gets clogged up when I have a lot of stuff open.
>
>The developers claim that KDE-3.5 is not maintained, but since KDE-4.2
>isn't really stable enough (actually it appears to be just Plasma) for
>production use, I wonder what I should do.

I use KDE 4.2.2 (for the openSUSE Build Service) on my work system, so I
think it is good enough for production use.  However, KDE 4.2 isn't
officially supported by openSUSE so I can't recommend using it there.

If you are willing to use a distribution does support KDE 4.2, I would
recommend upgrading.

>Has maintenance [of KDE 3] been left up
>to the distros?

Yes.

All that said, you might find some support via these lists.  I can't help
much, because I'm on KDE 4.2 everywhere, and I imagine you'll see that more
as time goes by.
bss at iguanasuicide.net            	((_/)o o(\_))