[kde-linux] Upgrading Linux breaks KDE 3.5

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue May 5 16:51:26 UTC 2009

History: When running KDE on Linux, my swap file filled up, so I
increased the swap space and it still filled up.

Upgrade: I have now upgraded to GLibc 2.9, binutils-2.19 (was already
using), Qt-3.3.8b, GnuPG-2.0.11 (and dependencies), OpenSSL-0.9.8g,
Xorg-7.4+ (xorg-server-1.5.3) along with a lot of secondary libraries.

I have the current Kernel 2.6.29.2

X11R7 upgrade was necessary to get compositing to work on KDE-4, which
it now does.

The swap problem has disappeared in KDE-3.5 which makes me wonder if
there was a bug in Qt.

However, I now have other problems:

!.	kgpg crashes on startup.
2.	KDESU doesn't work.
3.	Konqueror still gets clogged up when I have a lot of stuff open.

The developers claim that KDE-3.5 is not maintained, but since KDE-4.2
isn't really stable enough (actually it appears to be just Plasma) for
production use, I wonder what I should do.  Has maintenance been left up
to the distros?

Fedora patches have allowed me to still build aRts -- doesn't matter
much since some KDE-3.5 stuff that depends on arts doesn't work.  I
wonder if it safe to try the Fedora patches for KDE-3.5.10 since I
notice that Fedora 10 isn't using the real Glibc-2.9.

Anybody have similar problems or suggestions.

Are there specific version requirements for KDE-3.5 dependencies listed
somewhere?

--
JRT

Linux (mostly) From Scratch