[kde-linux] A Day in the Life of KDE4.2

Rajko M. rmatov101 at charter.net
Wed Mar 4 18:29:54 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 04 March 2009 11:23:52 am David Baron wrote:

> Something needs be done for KDE usability throughout the day. Maybe more
> akanodi maintanance/syncing could be cron'ed/kcron'd to later in the day.
> All this stuff MUST be niced from go. I am not running nepomuk which is
> another offender (I have recollindex going, niced 19 and do not notice
> it--krunner plugins also do indexing, scanning, and krunner needs to be
> niced as well). The moral, be nice, boy & girls

Niced or not, it is generating IO activity, which prevents other stuff to
access disks/media.

The word was about Beagle desktop search and someone mentioned ionice (man
ionice) as some kind of workaround until developers set program to be nice
and ionice by default.

I remember compiling driver for scanner that was designed for 300 MHz
computers. Original would freeze desktop on 1500 MHz machine as it did with
old one. After changing default nice level in the driver source code
everything worked fine. You may consider that as an option.

--
Regards, Rajko