[kde-linux] How to start kstartupconfig ?

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 3 18:09:41 UTC 2009

I run 2 SATA drives in KDE under Kubuntu Hardy Heron.
The second one is called 'clone' and is gets an rsync backup
as a chron job each night.  The entire /home partition is included
plus selected other directories.

If I shut down and disconnect the SATA cable to the first drive,
when the clone drive starts up I am eventually lead to the error message
"Could not start kstartupconfig.  Check your installation."

I have read several threads about this on the internet but nothing I
have tried has yet worked.  I suspect that the rsync is overwriting some
special info, possibly in ~/.kde.

I just noticed that when I setup 2 identical computers for my wife,
the clone computer came right up indicating that rsync is doing
something.  I could put in an rsync exception once whatever it is gets
fixed.

How could I fix this so the clone drive will come up?

Larry Alkoff