[kde-linux] 20090721KL -- Dolphin And Partitions

Bruce MacArthur bmacasuru at fastmail.us
Wed Jul 22 07:03:31 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 22 July 2009 00:11, JD wrote:
> [...]
> > ext3         0 2 /dev/sda10                    /opt
> >     ext3         0 2 /dev/sda7                      /root
> >          ext3         0 2 /dev/sda8                      /tmp
> >              ext3         0 2 /dev/sda12                    /usr
> >                  ext3         0 2 /dev/sda9
> > /var                     ext3         0 2 /dev/sda1
> >      none                   swap           0 0 /dev/sda5
> >           none                   swap           0 0 /dev/scd0
> > /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660 0 0 /dev/fd0    /media/floppy     auto
> >           0 0
> >
> > The first column in the preceeding listing is taken from the
> > comments and seems to be something from "prior to installation".
> > The third-from-last column is --
> > defaults
> > relatime,error=remount -ro
> > relatime
> > relatime
> > relatime
> > relatime
> > relatime
> > relatime
> > sw
> > sw
> > user,noauto,exec,utf8
> > rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8
> >
> > The results of the df command are also much more extensive --
> >
> > /dev/sda6          9%     /
> > tmpfs                 0%     /lib/init/rw
> > varrun               1%     /var/run
> > varlock              0%     /var/lock
> > udev                  1%     /dev
> > tmpfs                 1%     /dev/shm
> > lrm                     1%     /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-g
> > eneric/volatile
> > /dev/sda11        2%     /home
> > /dev/dsa10        1%     /opt
> > /dev/sda7          4%     /root
> > /dev/sda8          2%     /tmp
> > /dev/sda12      10%     /usr
> > /dev/sda9          5%     /var
> >
> > I really do NOT understand the fact that "tmpfs" appears TWO times
> > above the "eneric/volatile" entry, but I did not copy this one in
> > error!!!
> >

> > I notice that you mentioned that I should have fstab mounts for the
> > partitions of EACH distro in the other.  This makes excellent good
> > sense if I am going to be moving things in both directions.  I do
> > not anticipate doing this -- the moves will be entirely from
> > openSUSE to Jaunty.  Can I "get away with" adding openSUSE
> > partitions to Jaunty's fstab -- or will things effectively blow-up
> > in my face if I fail to balance the equation?
> >
> > THANKS for your time and assistance!!!!!
>
> I had a similar situation.
> Part of the problem for you "might" be that the 2 OS'es do not use
> the same device names for the partitions in question. So,  you will
> need to do some work to be sure (for example - that /dev/sdb3  in one
> OS is the same as /dev/sdd3  in the other os). What I am trying to
> point out is that the disk numbering scheme in the two OS'es might
> not match. So once you are able to identify the device names
> in both OS'es and map them  1 - 1 correctly, then adding them
> correctly into both OS'es fstabs should be very trivial.

Hello, Joe --

For a short time, Dolphin saw ALL of my partitions, and it was certain
(to me!) which ones were openSUSE and which were Jaunty.  What a
PLEASANT surprise!!!  You have a point in suggesting that those days
may well be history.  I will be observant.

> So, your devices on jaunty are:
>
> /dev/sda6               /       ext3            0 1
> /dev/sda11              /home   ext3            0 2
> /dev/sda10              /opt    ext3            0 2
> /dev/sda7               /root   ext3            0 2
> /dev/sda8               /tmp    ext3            0 2
> /dev/sda12              /usr    ext3            0 2
> /dev/sda9               /var    ext3            0 2
> /dev/sda1               none    swap            0 0
> /dev/sda5               none    swap            0 0
>
> PS: I do not know how jaunty creates 12 partitions in a Linux disk!
>      Jaunty seems to be using BSD partitioning scheme, no?? If that
>      is the case, your opensuse will probably not be able to mount
>      jaunty's non-standard Linux partitions. Standard Linux kernels
>      simply do not write BSD partitions - even the config menu says
>      it is dangerous to config and build the linux kernel with write
>      support for BSD's UFS partitions.
>      I do know that you could have for example 3 extended partitions
>      and 4 sub-partitions in each extended partition. Perhaps that is
>      what you did - in which case my comment re: BSD UFS does not
>      apply.

Jaunty did NOT (automatically) create all those partitions!  Instead, I
studied one book about Ubuntu Linux in its discussion of partitioning,
and tried to set things up well.  I think that I have one Primary
partition for openSUSE and another similar partition for Jaunty.  The
rest are "sub-partitions".  Also, be aware that MY openSUSE will never
need to mount Jaunty partitions -- only the reverse is needed.  To the
best of my knowledge, "BSD partitions" (thankfully!!!) have nothing to
do with this installation.

> Your devices on opensuse are:
> /dev/sda2       /       /       acl,user_xattr  1 1
> /dev/sda3       /home   /home   acl,user_xattr  1 2
> /dev/sda1       swap    swap    defaults        0 0
>
> Now, which devices do you wish to be visible to  both OS'es??

I think that I need sda2 and sda3 visible to both.  openSUSE needs them
to run at all, and Jaunty needs them to bring some data over to the
Jaunty installation.  NOTHING that is presently Jaunty-only needs to be
visible to openSUSE.

> Also, in each OS, issue the command
> fdisk -l /dev/sd
> for all disks visible to the OS. Look in /dev to see how
> many sd devices there are. Save the outputs
> and label them so a reader will know which OS the command
> was run on.
In openSUSE, I tried running this command, both as myself and as sudo.
Both times I was told "fdisk: command not found".  Obviously I need to
do some research -- unless this is just more of the reason for my move
away from openSUSE.  Please understand that I am not "mad" at SUSE, but
I am very perturbed about my own installation )which was done by a
store's personnel)!

Also, searching for the file yielded one "fdisk" in "sbin/".  It has
some 86,352 bytes, and is "Read Only", NOT executable!

In Kubuntu Jaunty my results were dramatically different, like this --

Disk /dev/sda:  250.0 GB,  250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000dcd1b

Device Boot   Start         End              Blocks      ID   System
/dev/sda1             1         131         1052226      82  Linux
swap / Solaris
/dev/sda2         132       2742      20972857+   83   Linux
/dev/sda3       2743    16428    109932795      83   Linux
/dev/sda4     16429    30401    112238122+     5   Extended
/dev/sda5     16429    16793        2931831      82   Linux swap /
Solaris
/dev/sda6     16794    17158        2931831      83   Linux
/dev/sda7     17159    17766        4883728+   83   Linux
/dev/sda8     17767    18982        9767488+   83   Linux
/dev/sda9     18983    20198        9767488+   83   Linux
/dev/sda10   20199    22630      19535008+  83   Linux
/dev/sda11   22631    26277      29294496     83   Linux
/dev/sda12   26278    30401      33125998+  83   Linux

> This will help identify which disks have same partitioning scheme
> and partition types, ..etc.

What I show above is PERFECTLY consistent with what I was previously
seeing in Dolphin -- but Dolphin is not yet seeing things this way
again!  And my immediate goal is to have Dolphin see this again.

THANK YOU, Joe, for your time with this and for any additional insights
or directions you can give me -- they are MOST appreciated!!!

--
布鲁&#26031  麦克阿&#29791
Bruce   Mac Arthur
     bmacasuru at fastmail.us