[kde-linux] kwifimanager crashed

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 18:11:18 UTC 2009

On 07/21/2009 10:49 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 Jul 2009 18:16:48 JD wrote:

>>> Can't answer for the rest, but it certainly isn't included on Mandriva
>>> for KDE4.  Yes, there is a KDE3 package.
>>>
>>> Why are you resisting using the supplied widget?  I did ask you to try it
>>> and let us know how it goes.
>>>
>>> Anne
>>>
>> Which supplied widget? Are you referring to something like wicd ?
>> I recall looking for it and could not find it on any fedora distro.
>>

> Right-click on the panel - Panel Options>  Add Widgets and search for
> 'network'.  You should get the networkmanager widget.

I have disabled the network manager because it does not invoke
wpa_supplicant
with the correct arguments - i.e. it completely ignores the settings in
/etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant.
Since I disabled it, wpa_supplicant starts correctly and associates with
the AP.
Also, I also edited ifcfg-ra0 and set NM_CONTROLLED=no
I have nothing but angst against the Network Manager.

Also, the reason why I wanted the kwifimanager is because I wanted to be
able
to see the signal level at a glance without having to invoke iwconfig.