[kde-linux] KDE4 issues I would like to fix

jim jimtrish at att.net
Fri Jul 10 23:06:28 UTC 2009

> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:09:19 Anne Wilson wrote:
> I think he means the widget toolbox.  Jim - if you right-click on the
> desktop then Lock Widgets you will not see those bars again.  You will need
> to unlock them by the same mechanism if you need to re-size, move, or
> re-configure a widget.
>
> As a matter of interest, how did you search for this in UserBase?  It's
> sometimes hard to know the best place to put hints and tips like that to
> make them most accessible.
>
> Anne

Roger that Anne, I knew you had your finger on the pulse of KDE4.
Thanks for the tip.
Any idea why I have no sound with KDE4? Its worked fine for
RedHat6-RedHat9. Its not a major issue as I only use it to play an
occasional audio CD.

James Tyrer got me squared away on xterm fonts. Thanks james.

As far as userBase, I just poked around and examined the ares that I
thought might be helpful, such as the differences between 3 and 4 and
the new stuff that has been added to 4. I found the Glossary very helpful.
Now I know who some of these guys are and what they are supposed to
be doing. Seems like the desktop is less configurable under 4, compared to 3.
But Im not into fancy desktops. I just want a plain old X-Windows workstation
where I can do software development.

BTW What are those widget toolbox icons supposed to do? The only one that did
anything was the little wrench. The top two dont do anything. I assume the
red x means delete so I didnt try that one.

Regards,
Jim