[kde-linux] Deleting the Selection

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jul 9 00:24:03 UTC 2009

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss at iguanasuicide.net> posted
200907081708.20234.bss at iguanasuicide.net, excerpted below, on  Wed, 08 Jul
2009 17:08:14 -0500:

> Please take a moment and try these simple steps:
>  1. Start konsole
>  2. Start konqueror
>  3. Navigate to anywhere.
>  4. Double-click the address bar to select all the text there.
>  5. Click on the konsole window.
>  6. Click on the konqueror window.
>
> WTF! The address fscking disappeared!

You didn't mention your kde version.  It matters.  See below:

See the current ongoing "Qt 4.5.2 - no clipboard function" thread.
Apparently, there's a select-paste bug, possibly more than one, that is
seems to be qt related.  qt 4.5.1 had intermittent issues, 4.5.2 is much
worse.  At least one person had some success downgrading from 4.5.2 back
to 4.5.1, where it at least worked part of the time.  Thus, if it's not a
qt bug directly, it does at least seem to be qt related in some way.

That's assuming kde 4.x.  You didn't say.  If you're still on 3.5.x for
your working system, as I am, it's a different issue, as that uses the
older qt 3.x series, which isn't implicated yet.  So you may have some
luck switching back to kde 3.5, provided of course you are either
compiling from source or your binary provider is carrying both versions.
(I'm on Gentoo, which allows parallel installation of both 3.5.x and 4.x.)