[kde-linux] How do I install KDE 4.2.4 while removing KDE 3.5.10 from Slackware Linux?

Juan De Vincenzo juandevincenzo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 05:16:43 UTC 2009

What version of Slackware are you running? I had the very same problem
some time ago with boost and it got solved by creating a symbolic link
within the /user/local/include/ directory like this:

#ln --symbolic /usr/local/include/boost_1_35_0/boost/ boost

See here for reference [1].

In regards to what would be the best way to move to KDE 4.2.4 in
Slackware, my recommendation would be to upgrade to current. I say
this because a couple of months ago I did install KDE 4.1 from source,
but got it working half way, being the main issue that when the
session got locked I couldn't get it back because it didn't recognized
the password. There is a troubleshooting guide for this on TachBase
but it didn't seem to work for Slackware. Then I asked on the main
Slackware forum and they said "move to current and you won't have
anymore issues", so I did and it works, with the advantage that with
this you'll get the latest and greatest, including for every update on
the KDE packages. See here for reference [2].

That is the best way to get a fully functional KDE 4 fast on
Slackware, but, I have to also say that installing from source was
great fun.

Hope this helps.

[1]http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/some-issues-about-building-inkscape-from-source-649046/
[2]http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/how-to-get-kde-4.2-to-unlock-sessions-714075/