[kde-linux] monitoring konqueror degrading performance

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 15:43:46 UTC 2009

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Pol wrote:
>
>> Opening several konqueor windows (kde 3.5.10), each with dozens tabs,
>> steadily slows down performance. 12-24 hours working result:
>>  - tens seconds to switch tabs and to pop up inactive windows;
>>  - several minutes to render web pages, while reaching the same web sites
>> by a non graphic browser (e.g. links) takes one second.
>>
>> Any hints?
>>

> Don't do that! (sorry old joke) :-)
>

>> How to closely monitor konqueror activity, to spot the problem?
>>

> This is an issue, perhaps even a bug.  The problem is that Konqueror
> does not control multiple tasks.  You could says that this is a general
> bug with running a GUI desktop on a non-RTOS.
>
> If you open KSysGuard, you will see that if you have multiple instances
> of Konqueror open that if they are all running that sometimes they have
> approximately equal "User%".  This is clearly not what you would want if
> your were designing it.  You are only using one of them at a time.
>
> What you would want is for windows to be given priorities based on
> whether they are minimized, whether they were on the current desktop,
> and which one had focus.  KWin could do this if it was running with root
> permissions.
>
> The tab issue might be able to be handled in Konqueror if each tab was
> opened in a thread and they were assigned priorities based on which one
> had focus.
>
> Another thing that would help would be to have two threads for a
> process.  A small one to accept input and a large one to do the work.

I have similar issues with Seamonkey.  When I have a lot of windows open
and several tabs on each one, it gets weird.  Sometimes Seamonkey will
just crash.  I notice it does that a lot when more than ten windows are
open.

It seems you are saying the GUI is the problem and it seems you are right.

Dale

:-)  :-)