[kde-linux] problem with my USB keys on my eeePc 4G

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 15:03:01 UTC 2009

On Monday 19 January 2009 04:31 pm, Guillaume Revet wrote:
> I have a problem with my USB keys on my eeePC 4G. The message is:
"You're not allowed to read /home/user/DataTraveler 2.0".

> The ownership of /home/user/DataTraveler 2.0  is root. I don't know
why ans it's the same problem on all my USB device and with my Flash
Card too.

> I not very used with the console but I try that:
> su (root mode)
> ls -la
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    23 2009-01-19 16:21  DataTraveler 2.0
-> /media/DataTraveler 2.0

> And when i try to change to owner or to open it: No files or folders

Thanks for the information--not sure why you started a new thread.

I'm still uncertain, you may have two problems.

Next question: have you tried to open (or view) the directory as root?
(And that is when you get the no files or folders?)  Based on the
permissions you should be able to do this as root, so I'd guess that
the drive is not mounted.

Look in /etc/mtab and see if there is anything that looks like the USB
drive being mounted--on my older machine (Mandriva2006) I see a line
like:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/cflash_fat16 msdos rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime 0 0

But note that the device (sda1) can vary depending on various
circumstances--it might be anything like sd followed by a, b, c, or d,
followed by a number.

Also note that the /mnt/cflash_fat16 mountpoint is something custom I
created.  (Also note that I have to mount my USB drives manually, but I
would think that Mandriva2009 (assuming that's what you're using)
should mount it automatically.

Anyway, start by seeing if the device is mounted, by looking
in /etc/mtab--if it is, give us the contents of that line.

Randy Kramer
--
I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
instead.--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.