[kde-linux] Kopete refuses to connect to GTalk

Jim Philips philips_jim at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 4 12:53:00 UTC 2009

Nathan England wrote:
> On Saturday 27 December 2008 06:40:48 Jim Philips wrote:

>>> Works fine here, also Kubuntu Intrepid:
>>>
>>> Kopete
>>> Version 0.60.3
>>> Using KDE 4.1.3 (KDE 4.1.3)
>>>
>>> That was a fresh install, about a week old, and without installing
>>> anything but the base system.
>>>
>>> Have you setup your account following the instructions on google.com?
>>> http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/answer.py?answer=57557
>>>
>> Yes. I've done all of that and had Kopete working in previous versions. But
>> I'm running KDE 4.1.85, which is a different version and a different repo
>> from yours. Maybe this will be resolved in the fnal release of KDE 4.2,
>> which is only a few days away.
>>

> I was having a similar problem. I'm running PaysonLinux and have KDE 4.2 in
> testing, which uses kopete 0.60.81, and I could not connect to gtalk.
> I just tried connecting again and it errors out saying it could not find the
> server. I have previously been connected to gtalk.google.com but now it must
> be connected to talk.google.com. Maybe this is your problem?
>
> I googled kopete gtalk and found the first link to have exactly what I needed.
>
> nathan

Thanks. That actually seems to work! The funny thing was that Kopete had
lost all password settings when I started it up again. Passwords were
stored earlier. I have now removed as many traces of KWallet as I could.
And I still think that was related to the earlier loss of account
settings in KMail and that starting Kopete without it caused me to lose
settings there too. At any rate, I'm avoiding KWallet wherever possible now.