[kde-linux] kde status

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Sat Feb 21 22:34:57 UTC 2009

On Saturday 21 February 2009 14:19:44 Werner Joss wrote:
> Am Saturday 21 February 2009 21:51:05 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> > > however, there are still issues - most important: kde4 is still
> > > significantly slower than 3.5.x .
> > > and although there were always improvements in this area from release
> > > to release, it is still not as snappy as 3.5.x .
> >
> > Agreed
>
> Anne,
> thanks for your comments :)
> and yes, this (meanwhile improved, but still lasting) slowness is my main
> issue here.
> but there is hope: qt 4.5 is on its way, and it is said this will improve
> speed significantly - I'll give it a try, for sure...
>
> > I've only just started using quanta.  Today it seemed to have a problem
> > problems you're seeing?
> >
> > > due to missing ioslaves (ftps, fish..) -
> > > which is clearly a fault of my distro, not kde's.
> >
> > Dunno.  ISTR reading that kio slaves can't work because dbus has taken
> > the place of .... hummm. errr...   fish:// works on 4.1.3, but not, it
> > appears, on 4.2 - at least on my systems.  Perhaps someone can clarify
> > that for us?
>
> kde3 has its own kioslaves, and thus cannot use those from kde4.
> as stated, kde3 apps still work under 4.x, provided all features from kde3
> (like ioslaves) are still available.
> distros like opensuse are reported to have incorporated all that, as
> opposed to (k)ubuntu, but frankly, I'm not willing to convert to opensuse,
> because of apt-get - which is an outstanding feature of debian based
> distros ;-)
>
> werner

I have found some significat slowness from KDE 4.2.0 to kde 3.5.10, but I
recently upgraded to some later X sources, such as xserver 1.5.3 and newer
video drivers and teh speed of 4.2.0 is now faster than my 3.5.10 was. I am
quite impressed with the speed of 4.2.0.

nathan

--
Nathan England

Core Development Team