[kde-linux] kde status

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 21 20:51:05 UTC 2009

On Saturday 21 February 2009 20:34:08 Werner Joss wrote:
> hi listmates,
> this is a short summary of my kde 3.5.x vs kde 4.x experience over the last
> year, feel free to comment on or just ignore it :)
>
> I have used kde4 from 4.1 on as my primary desktop (4.0.x was just too
> buggy/incomplete) and I can confirm, there have been significant
> improvements all the time, with 4.2 beeing the first release that can
> really be recommended for everyday use.
>
> however, there are still issues - most important: kde4 is still
> significantly slower than 3.5.x .
> and although there were always improvements in this area from release to
> release, it is still not as snappy as 3.5.x .

Agreed

> I just did a parallel install of debian lenny with 3.5.9 alongside my
> kubuntu 8.10, and that clearly shows the statement made above.
>
> additionally, I noticed that kde3 apps (especially kdewebdev/quanta) are
> not well supported under 4.x,

I've only just started using quanta.  Today it seemed to have a problem
problems you're seeing?

> due to missing ioslaves (ftps, fish..) -
> which is clearly a fault of my distro, not kde's.

Dunno.  ISTR reading that kio slaves can't work because dbus has taken the
place of .... hummm. errr...   fish:// works on 4.1.3, but not, it appears, on
4.2 - at least on my systems.  Perhaps someone can clarify that for us?

> in effect, that brought me back to 3.5.9, for now.
> I'll of course keep an eye on kde4 development and update regularly, to
> keep in touch.
> I'm sure, the mentioned issues will be sorted out sooner or later, then
> I'll happily be back with 4.x :)

It's annoying when something you need appears to be missing, but I have to say
that on the odd occasions when I find myself working on a KDE3 installation
(there are three in the house) I find myself really missing some of the new
features.  It's amazing how fast something useful becomes an essential tool in
our working pattern. :-)