[kde-linux] kde status

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Sat Feb 21 20:34:08 UTC 2009

hi listmates,
this is a short summary of my kde 3.5.x vs kde 4.x experience over the last
year, feel free to comment on or just ignore it :)

I have used kde4 from 4.1 on as my primary desktop (4.0.x was just too
buggy/incomplete) and I can confirm, there have been significant improvements
all the time, with 4.2 beeing the first release that can really be
recommended for everyday use.

however, there are still issues - most important: kde4 is still significantly
slower than 3.5.x .
and although there were always improvements in this area from release to
release, it is still not as snappy as 3.5.x .

I just did a parallel install of debian lenny with 3.5.9 alongside my kubuntu
8.10, and that clearly shows the statement made above.

additionally, I noticed that kde3 apps (especially kdewebdev/quanta) are not
well supported under 4.x, due to missing ioslaves (ftps, fish..) - which is
clearly a fault of my distro, not kde's.

in effect, that brought me back to 3.5.9, for now.
I'll of course keep an eye on kde4 development and update regularly, to keep
in touch.
I'm sure, the mentioned issues will be sorted out sooner or later, then I'll
happily be back with 4.x :)

werner