[kde-linux] System -> Printing doesn't work.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Feb 21 20:03:07 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 21 February 2009 11:30:10 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>>> What exactly are you trying to do with 'System > Printing'?
>> Starting back at "0":
>>
>> I opened it using the menu.
>>
> Opened *what*?  You still haven't told us.  Are you using Classic
> Menu to open system-config-printing?

No, I am using KickOff to open: system-config-printer-kde

http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/4.2/kdeadmin/system-config-printer-kde/

>> Noted that the "Basic Server Settings" were grayed out and could
>> not be set -- probably nothing there that needs to be set any who.
>>
> I don't see "Basic Server Settings" at all in s-c-p.

Are you using the GNOME or the KDE version?

>> Selected: "New Printer" in the window on the (my) left.
>>
> This doesn't sound like s-c-p on my F10.
>
>> Clicked the button: "New Printer".
>>
> If it is set up correctly in CUPS I would not expect you to need to
> add it here - but then, I still don't know whether we are talking
> about s.c.p or something else.
>
>> In the dialog that popped up, I selected "LPT #1" and clicked the
>> "Forward" button.
>>
> This is a parallel printer?  Probably, I guess.
>
>> The button reacted, but nothing happened.
>>
>>> Why can't you just install your printer under cups, let the kde
>>> printing system pick that up, then print normally?
>> I can and did do that.  But it has nothing to do with testing the
>> software or whether you can access: "system-config-printer-kde"
>> using the K-Menu -- whether that works (for you).
>>
> Your logic is extremely difficult to follow, sometimes.  I presume
> that "system-config-printer-kde" is distro-specific.  I can access
> "system-config- printer" from the K menu, krunner, or terminal.  What
> you are describing does not fit what I can see.

You are probably using the GNOME version or a distro customized version.

>>> It works for everyone else.
>> What works for everyone else?  The workaround of using the CUPS
>> setup tool or can everyone else access and use:
>> "system-config-printer-kde" using the K-Menu?
>>
> Two separate issues.  CUPS setup is not a workaround, as the devs
> have explained to you.  s-c-p is accessible from the K menu if you
> use a distro that has it.

My distro is LFS, so I am using the stock undistroized KDE built from
source.

> I have two different distros here using it, and I can access it
> easily on both.

See screen shot of s-c-p-k attached and the screen shot of the KickOff
menu in the other posting.

>> I also note that there is another workaround but it doesn't work
>> either. You can open a Konsole, "su", enter password, and execute:
>> "system-config-printer-kde".  Doing that, the options are no longer
>>  grayed out, however when I get to clicking the: "Forward" button,
>> still nothing happens.  So perhaps running with root permissions
>> isn't the answer.
>
> I presume that you mean that something is greyed out when running the
> 'add new printer'  in s-c-p?

No, that would be: Server Settings.

> If so, to check your findings, I have
> just added a printer.  Doing it exactly as you describe.  Everything
> proceeded as expected, right down to the test page coming out of the
> printer.
>
> What bug?

IIUC, you have said that you are not using "system-config-printer-kde".
  I was simply asking if someone is successfully using it so that I know
that it works before I continue with trying to debug my problem.
Apparently, that was too much to ask, or because of distro
customization, it wasn't the extremely simple question which I thought
that it was.

--
JRT