[kde-linux] Custom Keyboard Layout

Andreas Waldenburger wildemar at freakmail.de
Mon Feb 16 23:56:45 UTC 2009

Hi there,

I'm trying to get KDE4 to recognize my custom xkb-layout that I created
(a Dvorak variant). In 3.5 I used to modify the symbols file for my
country, fiddle with xorg.lst a bit and boom, I could switch layouts at
my heart's desire. I had used this for reference:
http://hektor.umcs.lublin.pl/~mikosmul/computing/articles/custom-keyboard-layouts-xkb.html

This being Linux and all, of course upgrading means waving goodbye to
features (sorry I'm frustrated, but I'll try to contain the ranting).
So now KDE doesn't like my variant anymore. It just doesn't see that
it's available in System Settings.

I've managed to trick KDE into using my layout[1] and switching
between mine and the standard one. But it's not quite perfect yet:
Whenever I press a modifier key in a Qt app, the old layout is used.
Bummer. For non-Qt apps, the current one is used, it seems.

So how would I go about getting KDE4 to see my layout AND not switch
back when I press modifier keys?

KDE 4.2, Fedora-10.

[1] If you're interested, here is how I did it: Set keyboard layouts to
"Indicator only", closed System Settings, switched to the new layout in
the console via setxkbmap, returned to System Settings where now the
new variant was shown (WTF?), re-enabled layouts and added the standard
one. Not a feature, I clearly exploited a glitch there. Naturally I
want to do it right.

thanks for your time,
/W