[kde-linux] KDE 4.2 ROCKS !

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Feb 16 08:34:08 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 13 February 2009 19:33:58 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> Kevin Kempter wrote:
>>> Hi all;
>>>
>>> Just had to throw out my thoughts - KDE 4.2 is awesome !! Hats
>>> off to the KDE dev team and everyone who made 4.2 a reality.
>> Have you tried to print?
>>
> Every day.

Does the print dialog have the correct defaults in "Properties"?
Specifically, does it honor the system defaults for Paper Size and
dimension units?  If you change these, or the margins, are they
remembered or is there a way to save them?  Are the margins inactivated
when they have no effect?

>> Have you tried to remove the battery monitor from the panel?
>>
> Why would I?

Well, you might not have a laptop.  But, if things are configurable,
they should work, or at least not cause a crash.

>> Seriously, what is the point of this boosterism?  It doesn't change
>> the fact that KDE 4.2 still needs a lot of work and Qt 4.4.3 still
>> has serious issues.
>
> How negative can you get?

There is a difference between being negative and being realistic.  Sorry
to rain on your parade but I am just being realistic when I say that
KDE-4 still needs considerable work.  And I am rather disappointed in Qt
which is supposedly a commercial product at release 4.4.x.  The Trolls
still don't seem to understand that PS printing has no resolution.

> Of course there are still some issues, but for the most part I love
> it.

I would love it too if it all worked.

--
JRT