[kde-linux] Redland vs. Sesame2 (was Renicing KDE4 Services)

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Feb 14 21:57:22 UTC 2009

David Baron wrote:
>>> Redland? This stuff uses RDF? If so, I put in redland in order to compile
>>> some audio plugins. How do I replace with sesame2 and is this a drop-in
>>> compatable replacement, that is, also suitable for the audio
>>> applications?
>> Yes, Nepomuk relation triples are stored as RDF AFAIK. It uses an access
>> abstraction library called Soprano (IIRC) and there are currently two
>> backends for that: Redland (slow but, C/C++) and Sesame2 (fast, but Java,
>> so often not packages by distributors as the default)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Kevin
>
> The java is fast and  the C++ is slow?
> C++ can work with a Java backend?
>
> live and learn.
>
> How do I replace redland with sesame[?]

IIUC, if the Sesame backend exists, it will be used automatically in
preference to the RedLand one.

If you are building from source, all you need to do is to install the
current SUN JDK, set: JAVA_HOME, JAVA, & JAVA_XDG_DATA_DIRS, and add
$JAVA_HOME/bin to your PATH in your startup scripts (add a "java.sh"
script to /etc/profile.d/ in Linux).  I found that to compile against it
that I had to add: -I$JAVA_HOME/include to my CPPFLAGS.  Then rebuild
KDESupport (remove CMakeCache.txt from your build directory and run
cmake again).

If your distro doesn't have it, all you can do is ask.

--
JRT