[kde-linux] my thought about kde 4.2

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 9 14:09:33 UTC 2009

On Friday 06 February 2009 10:05:22 Stefano Crocco wrote:
> Alle Friday 06 February 2009, _sc_ ha scritto:
> > On Thursday 05 February 2009 4:14 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > Dolphin is a wolf in sheep's clothing.  It will take you a long time to
> > > discover all the things it can do, so why not take a shortcut and read
> > > http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/File_Management
> >
> > there's probably an obvious answer to this, but the thing i
> > dislike the most about dolphin is the way it hides "hidden"
> > files -- this trait reminds me of gnome -- anyway, i saw
> > nothing about hidden files in the file management tutorial
> > quoted above
> >
> > i should probably be specific here:  i am talking about
> > files and folders for which the first character of the name
> > is a dot -- perhaps the dolphin community calls them
> > something other than "hidden" and i've simply been searching
> > on the wrong keyword
> >
> > i've searched every menu item, poked everywhere i can find
> > to poke, and i can't find it
> >
> > so -- what's the secret?
> >
> > tia,
> >
> > sc

> They're called hidden files even in dolphin. You can make a folder display
> them using the Show Hidden Files entry in the View menu. Unfortunately, you
> can't have that option turned on by default (at least, as far as I know: I
> don't use dolphin at all).
>
> However, I don't think it neither strange nor annoying in the fact that
> hidden files are "hidden" by default: it's the same default behaviour of,
> say, ls and, in my opinion, the expected one, since they're called
> "hidden". Moreover, often they only clutter the window. For example, with
> Show Hidden Files turned off, my home directory contains 14 files and
> directories. If I turn that option on, suddenly the window is filled with
> 149 between files and directories (according to what the status bar
> reports). This is all right when I'm looking for a hidden file/directory,
> but it would be extremely annoying most of the times, when I'm not
> interested in them.

The default in Konqueror has always been to hide 'dot-files' - and yes, both
konqueror and dolphin offer to 'Show Hidden Files' from the View menu.  If you
want to set a default you can do that for a particular menu view (icons, list,
etc) from View > Adjust View Properties.

One more example of the fact that what you can do in konqueror you can also do
in dolphin, often by the same name, and additional possibilities exist.