[kde-linux] Switching to KDE-4.2: Problem #1: I can't print to my printer

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Feb 7 12:15:04 UTC 2009

On Saturday 07 February 2009, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Dale wrote:
> > James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> >> Wonder what things these would be.  All I know is that it is hard to
> >> setup unless you purchase the proprietary printer drivers for it.
> >
> > I been using cups for years.  I have never bought any drivers.  It comes
> > with a lot of drivers included.
>
> Won't argue how many years, but when I first tried it, the drivers were
> proprietary; ESP charged for them.

That must have been in a time before Linux distributions started using it.
Since then at least the Linux packages shipped with tons of PPD files and
external rasterizers (e.g. ghostscript) for printers without built-in
rasterrizers such as cheap ink jets.

However the Mac OSX version might contain proprietary drivers or use the ones
provided by printer manufacturers.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring