[kde-linux] Switching to KDE-4.2: Problem #1: I can't print to my printer

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 05:32:25 UTC 2009

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Dale wrote:
>
>> James Richard Tyrer wrote:

>>> Yes, but the problem is that it doesn't work.  I can print to a PS file
>>> and then open a Konsole and:
>>>
>>> 	lpr <file>.ps
>>>
>>> and it prints.  So, if KDE is using the command lpr then it should work.
>>>   However, it appears that KDE is not using it except in Okular.

>>> Wonder what things these would be.  All I know is that it is hard to
>>> setup unless you purchase the proprietary printer drivers for it.
>>>

>> I been using cups for years.  I have never bought any drivers.  It comes
>> with a lot of drivers included.
>>

> Won't argue how many years, but when I first tried it, the drivers were
> proprietary; ESP charged for them.  Perhaps this business plan didn't
> work.  It appears that Apple purchased CUPS and now this has changed and
> the proprietary drivers are no longer available.  Technically, what they
> are currently calling drivers are not drivers but rather slightly
> modified PPD files.

The ppd file is all you need.  When I bought a new printer a while back,
I did a google search for HP Deskjet D4260.  It was not included in the
package at the time.  I found the file and manually placed it in the
cups ppd directory and it has worked ever since.  It has since been
added to the package itself as D4200 series but it still works fine.

One company that I have heard has awful Linux support is Lexmark.  HP
however has great support.  You can always check before you buy a
printer too.  I found the ppd file for mine then ordered my printer.

Dale

:-)  :-)