[kde-linux] kde 4-2

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Feb 2 06:40:27 UTC 2009

Joy Methew wrote:
> hi all..
> i have downloaded source package on rhel5 now i m confused how i can
> install all packages??

I presume that you mean that you downloaded the tar files (tar.bz | tar.gz).

Before you build, you need to change some environmental variables:

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4.x#Create_the_User_Account

lists the stuff you need to set.  I have it in my $HOME/.bash_profile
file but it is probably better to put the "D-Bus" startup in your
"$HOME/.xsession" file.

First install the dependencies including Qt-4.4.3 & KDESupport-4.2.0.

Then, you need to build:

	KDELibs
	KDEPimLibs
	KDEBase

first and in that order.  Then build the other stuff.  If installing
KDEBindings, I think that you need to install it before KDEEDU.

You need to use CMake to build the packages.  I presume that you have
built things before, if not please ask questions.  So, you unpack the
tar file, change to the directory that is created:

	mkdir buid_directory
	cd buid_directory
	cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$KDEDIR
	make install

{Call "build_directory" anything you want}.

Well that is a basic idea.  Good luck -- this is a major project.

--
JRT