[kde-linux] kmail - turn off html?

JJ Murphy murphyjj at bigpond.net.au
Thu Dec 31 15:28:04 UTC 2009

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 06:32:15 am Bruce MacArthur wrote:
> After all, 99% of the list-members are fairly
> decent folks, just like you and me.
Cor, what an elitist statement!
> But those who are ignorant or
> foolish enough to send HTML just MAY be "dangerous" also; they do not
> deserve to be read, in my own opinion!
Ignorant ? - that's me about many things.
Foolish ? - guilty as charged.
I agree that for a  list like this, simple text is best - but in general terms, this thinking is an example of the inverse  snobbery that has caused Kmail to be hobbled in its ability to handle to HTML.
It reads as a firm declaration that proud geeks (who of course know more than anybody else) do not read HTML email.
What this is asking me to believe is that if an anticipated email arrived as HTML then it would get deleted without being read  I don't believe it - not for a second.
Until Linux in general and Kmail in particular can get beyond this type of purist thinking and self-deception -  it will remain a minority interest - which of course may be the main aim of some.
Personally, I hope for greater acceptance for a system which values user options and choice.