[kde-linux] dolphin new tab feature

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Dec 27 21:00:44 UTC 2009

horrorist777 posted on Sun, 27 Dec 2009 14:45:02 +0100 as excerpted:

> i would like to use dolphin for file managing because it seems to me
> more "lightweight" without additional features compared to konqueror,
> which is capable of html viewing etc.

FWIW, konqueror is simply embedding the dolphin kpart in its GUI when it
does file management.  And one of those "additional features" you
mentioned... is the enhanced tabs functionality.  So lightweight or nice
open in tabs functionality, your choice.

Not that dolphin might not get that functionality in the future.  You
might check the idea-storm and bugs sites, and put a request in there if
there isn't one already.

> on the other hand your hint with the former "kcontrol" looks promising.
> i tried to toggle a bit in the system settings --> file associations
> with the embedded option. until now i had no success, but i will keep
> hanging on ;)

Yeah, I've not tried changing that particular set of options for
directories, etc, myself, but I expect it can be done... if not with the
embedding options, with a new association making the correct dbus calls
to dolphin, moved to the top.  But what those calls might be would
require a bit of research to find out.

FWIW, I don't actually use dolphin (or konqueror in fileman mode) much
here.  For system management tasks (including my own user config
editing), I prefer the (semi-gui, ncurses based) mc, in a konsole
window.  For one thing, with mc I have a consistent interface regardless
of whether I'm in X or at a text-based VT (virtual terminal) that way,
which comes in handy when I'm editing xorg or kde config files and don't
have it running, for instance.  For the more visual "user role" file
management, dealing with pictures and videos, etc, where thumbnails are
nice to have, gwenview seems to work as good or better (tho I'd hate to
try to use it for sysadmin type file management).  That doesn't leave
that much room for dolphin to squeeze into.  So I mainly have it open
quite temporarily, simply because it's the configured default where
pretty much anything with basic file management capacities will do, for
trivial file browsing on my way to something else.  Then it's closed.
I've been toying with the idea of making gwenview my kde default file
manager, but haven't yet.  Or, since I use konqueror for the web anyway
(tho I have icecat/firefox available and am tending to use it more as I
get hooked on its extensions), and have kde set to keep an extra instance
or two ready to open when needed, I could set it as the default, and
basically ignore dolphin as such.