[kde-linux] How much change? was Re: In KDE4, to set a different background for each of the multiple desktops

Pablo Sanchez pablo at blueoakdb.com
Wed Dec 23 15:14:37 UTC 2009

[ Comments below, in line ]

On Wednesday 23 December 2009 at 9:57 am, Duncan penned
about "Re: [kde-linux] In KDE4, to set a different background for each of the multiple desktops"

> FWIW, I'm not the only one to observe that while the changes might
> eventually be welcomed, it seems kde/plasma took it too far too
> fast, with the change being so great it's very uncomfortable for
> many/most people.  Had they gone somewhat slower, perhaps in 3-5
> years, people could have been prepared for this, if the changes were
> taken a single much smaller step at a time.

Hi,

I believe the amount of change per release is very subjective.  If you
have too little change, it's difficult to advance a product to the
next phase.  If you have too much change, you need to ensure processes
are in place to move people forward.

We also have different categories of users:

o Early adopters:

  They can tolerate crashes and bugs.

o Not so early adopters:

  Tolerate some bugs as long as there are work-arounds.

o Users who are okay with re-learning but can't tolerate too many
  bugs.

o Users who will always gripe about any changes to their existing
  setup.

The latter group is always difficult and usually not solvable.

Based on the bugs reported on here with KDE 4.3, it was probably
premature to release (and stop supporting KDE 3.5.10).

I also know that I have been trying to help KDE (kmail specifically)
but I've been slammed with my own work.  :(  ... single person company
and all.  :)

Cheers,
--
Pablo Sanchez - Blueoak Database Engineering, Inc
Ph:    819.459.1926      Fax:   760.860.5225 (US)