[kde-linux] In KDE4, to set a different background for each of the multiple desktops

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Dec 23 14:57:40 UTC 2009

Stan Goodman posted on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:57:16 +0200 as excerpted:

> I will definitely try this, and I am grateful for your advice, although
> the explanation of the mechanics only emphasizes for me how much I want
> to dump the bother of Activities to the extent that this is possible.
> Can I hide the translucent shower curtain?

This translucent "window that fills much of the screen", aka "shower
curtain"...

Now /I'm/ the one confused.  I'm not quite sure what you are talking
about...  I'm sure it's a terminology thing, but I just don't quite get
the visualization you're trying to portray -- maybe I'm thinking too
literally, or not literally enough, I don't know but it's not coming --
and as a result, I'm lost as to how to help or comment further...

Meanwhile, from your :52 post, it appears you've found the zooming... but
don't find it intuitive at all... which as I said, seems to have taken
the devs by surprise, the number of people who find this interface not
only unintuitive, but unpleasant and even scary, as to the devs, it must
have seemed the most natural thing in the world, given the extent to
which they rely on it thru kde 4.3 at least.

FWIW, I'm not the only one to observe that while the changes might
eventually be welcomed, it seems kde/plasma took it too far too fast,
with the change being so great it's very uncomfortable for many/most
people.  Had they gone somewhat slower, perhaps in 3-5 years, people
could have been prepared for this, if the changes were taken a single
much smaller step at a time.

More in response to the other post...