[kde-linux] Network Settings

Robin Atwood robin at binro.org
Mon Dec 21 16:06:40 UTC 2009

On Monday 21 December 2009, James Tyrer wrote:
> This is the "just works" DOESN'T WORK situation again.
>
> Is there some special trick to get
>
> System Settings -> Network Settings::Network Settings
>
> to work?
>
> First, I ask: Should I have KDE-3 help for this in System Settings in
> KDE-4?
>
> There is nothing in the "Network interfaces" tab's window despite the
> fact that I have a NIC for "eth0".  The "System Monitor - Network"
> widget finds "eth0" OK.  So, it would appear that I have some things
> configured correctly.

I asked about this on kde-devel a month or so back. You must have a network
manager installed; currently two are supported:

# eix solid
[U] kde-base/solid
     Available versions:  (4.3) 4.3.3 (~)4.3.4-r2
        {aqua bluetooth debug kdeenablefinal kdeprefix networkmanager wicd}
     Installed versions:  4.3.4-r1(4.3)(00:41:11 13/12/09)(bluetooth wicd -
aqua -debug -kdeenablefinal -kdeprefix -networkmanager)
     Homepage:            http://www.kde.org/

wicd and networkmanager. Since I use Gentoo scripts I had no need for either
of these. Pointing this out got me a rather snippy answer ("How do I expect it
to work then?") to which I replied "ifconfig, route, /proc?". I relented and
installed wicd but it made no difference, so I lost interest in the whole
business and stuck with "netstat -r"!

YMMV
-Robin
Robin Atwood.