[kde-linux] Network Settings

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Dec 21 09:42:51 UTC 2009

James Tyrer posted on Sun, 20 Dec 2009 23:34:48 -0700 as excerpted:

> This is the "just works" DOESN'T WORK situation again.
>
> Is there some special trick to get
>
> System Settings -> Network Settings::Network Settings
>
> to work?
>
> First, I ask: Should I have KDE-3 help for this in System Settings in
> KDE-4?
>
> There is nothing in the "Network interfaces" tab's window despite the
> fact that I have a NIC for "eth0".  The "System Monitor - Network"
> widget finds "eth0" OK.  So, it would appear that I have some things
> configured correctly.

Hmm... I don't even have that module installed here, probably because I
know I set it up with the system services (init 2 is nonet, tho I do have
it running stuff like privoxy that doesn't actually break if it doesn't
have a network, init 3 is net, with ntp, etc, I don't use init 4 and 5,
but have init 9 setup as a rather barebones but unlike single/1, with
normal mounts and gpm, of course init 0 and 6 are the standard shutdown
and reboot) and thus having kde trying to fight system services so
neither one knows what is going on is NOT a particularly good idea... so
I just didn't install whatever package it was! =:^)

However, kde 4.3's network setup is known to be rather unworkable for
many (FWIW 4.2 wouldn't even register eth0 on my machine, apparently
because it wasn't managed by networkmanager -- so no network monitoring,
4.3 definitely improved on that! =:^), and I'm seriously considering not
even really attempting networking, at least not wifi, on the netbook I'm
just now setting up with Gentoo, until kde 4.4, which is supposed to
FINALLY have decent GUI network setup support.

FWIW, someone posted a very informative link, either here or in the
kde.general group (gmane's list2group gateway), recently.  It was to a
blog post on what's up and why it doesn't yet work in 4.3.  Just another
reason that 4.3 isn't ready for normal, ordinary /user/ use, despite the
claims of the kde folks since 4.2. (Tho since the kde sc announcement,
it's clear they're no longer targeting ordinary users, but devs, and
indeed, the claim can at least be sanely defended if it's taken to target
devs, NOT users.)