[kde-linux] Updating System Configuration

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Dec 14 06:27:42 UTC 2009

Kevin Krammer posted on Sun, 13 Dec 2009 22:55:35 +0100 as excerpted:

> Since it was stuck on a system call you were lucky to get it killed at
> all. Sometimes this more or less requires a reboot (depending on what
> resource it is stuck on)

You're absolutely right.  Sometimes it did get screwed up enough that a
reboot was about all that would help it, but once I figured out what was
going on, I'd kill kded right away and let it respawn, and then it didn't
ever seem to deadlock enough resources to require the reboot.

What was frustrating, however, was that all that was while I was in my
push to switch from kde3 to kde4, so I was doing a LOT of config changes,
etc.  And when a significant portion of them were locking up kded... tho
I knew it was the pre-release kernel and that the kernel folks were
working on it and that helped a LOT as at least I wasn't entirely at a
loss... it still wasn't fun!

I'll tell you one thing, tho, I was SURE glad when the kernel folks got
all their ducks lined up in a row and that functionality started working
properly again! =:^)  It was rather like having a cold, and how good it
feels to be actually healthy once again, when it's finally gone!  Nothing
quite like being sick to make you appreciate health, even if you know
it's just a cold, and will be gone in a few days (and know from
experience how enjoyable the health will be those first couple weeks
having it again)!