[kde-linux] Problem in OpenOffice Calc with Excel document

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Dec 6 01:34:25 UTC 2009

Barry Premeaux posted on Sat, 05 Dec 2009 16:24:38 -0800 as excerpted:

> Thomas Taylor wrote:
>> I finally decided to bite the bullet and move all my windows documents
>> to linux (openSUSE 11.2, KDE 4.3.1, OO 3.1.1).
>>
>> The Word documents can be read and modified properly but Excel
>> spreadsheets are loading as read-only and can't be modified.
>>
>> I've gone through the settings but can't find anything that would
>> apply.  Any suggestions?
>>
> Sometimes you end up in a read only status after copying files over.
> Personally, I would open a terminal and su to root.  Then do a 'chmod
> 764 filename.xls' to change the permissions.
>
> You can read up on permissions at
> http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/usersguide/linux_ugfilesp.html

If that's not it... FWIW, I'd try posting to an open-office list.  This
is a kde list and the products aren't related (the kde product used for
excel spread-sheets would be kspread, part of koffice), so it's unlikely
you'll find the open-office expertise here that you'd find on the open-
office lists.  It's easy enough to get confused as to where to ask,
sometimes, so no big deal there, just pointing out that the odds of
getting help for open-office will be higher on an open-office list.

Or... you can try koffice.  =:^)