[kde-linux] Problem in OpenOffice Calc with Excel document

Barry Premeaux bpx at basicisp.net
Sun Dec 6 00:24:38 UTC 2009

Thomas Taylor wrote:
> I finally decided to bite the bullet and move all my windows documents to
> linux (openSUSE 11.2, KDE 4.3.1, OO 3.1.1).
>
> The Word documents can be read and modified properly but Excel spreadsheets
> are loading as read-only and can't be modified.
>
> I've gone through the settings but can't find anything that would apply.  Any
> suggestions?

Sometimes you end up in a read only status after copying files over.
Personally, I would open a terminal and su to root.  Then do a 'chmod
764 filename.xls' to change the permissions.

You can read up on permissions at
http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/usersguide/linux_ugfilesp.html

Hope that helps.

Barry