[kde-linux] upgrading to KDE 4.2.4

Gmail lars.koraeus at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 13:38:19 UTC 2009

On Friday 04 December 2009 18:39:04 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 04 December 2009 09:56:13 David Jarvie wrote:
> > On Fri, December 4, 2009 4:32 am, Duncan wrote:
> > > Pablo Sanchez posted on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 21:26:57 -0500 as excerpted:

> > It's not guaranteed that your kmail emails are stored in ~/.kde. If you
> > have migrated in the past from older KDE versions, they could be in
> > ~/Mail, or somewhere else. Look in ~/.kde/share/kmailrc (I think) to find
> > the location if you have problems locating your emails.
>
> Better still, back up the whole of your /home/you directory to a usb
>  pen-drive if at all possible.  If you have space to spare, back up /etc as
>  well.
>
> Anne

A thing to wish for would be that KDE apps had a better separation of
data/documents a user creates and other support files.
Then it had been easy to just have data in a separate partition that could be
mounted in different systems and used by different applications. As standard
not with manual work as now.
Now we have all data in a /local and own apps/script in /usr/local. Always
there whatever system we install or boot.

IE. Think if open Office stored all documents under .ooo3.

A new clean .kde? is not the same as an upgrade one. If each app could have a
little import option. Same have but rudimentary. You need to find the files
yourself.